Sunday, May 17, 2015

Post #52, 5/17/15 The Painting Begins


65 Mustang Restoration

 


 Finally,,, the painting process has begun. A couple of days ago, Waldo (painter) ordered our paint,,, 2010 Ford Kona Blue,,, I'm told this was a special color for certain GT500 models. Last year I bought one of those $5 cheep & cheesy 18"x 24" picture frames,, the ones that are basically just a piece of plastic, cardboard backer, & 4 plastic trim side pieces that you hold it all together with. This actually works great for color testing,, you just spray the back side of the plastic with the color you're thinking about, let it dry, then look at it from the front side,,, the plastic acts like the clear coat. Put the frame together & take it out into the sun,, the ultimate paint sample. 

I bought a gallon of paint, reducer, clear, & a bit of the special Semi-Gloss Black for the interior,,, $985.00 was the shop's cost. Far cry from the Earl Shive's $99 special paint job.  Seems that they don't give paint away anymore,,, definitely not single stage enamel.

This morning I got the call from Waldo telling me that the small parts were painted, and to come to the shop & pick them up. I was surprised, happy & a bit tentative,,, "What if it's not what I was hoping for?"  As I walked into the paint booth,, all of my fears instantly vanished,,, WOW,,, Perfect! OMG,,, I'm sooo glad we chose this color,,, it's very hard to convey the real color by these pictures,,, the 3rd picture of the rear fender extension is very close though. The pictures just don't do the color justice.






Needless to say, Very Happy with the color choice!  It seems to have many different looks to it,, deep deep blue, black, and very bright heavy metallic blue in the sunlight. All of the pieces are resting safely on the table in the garage. Waldo was headed back to the shop to prep & paint the inside of the doors black, so in a few days he can jam the doors, fenders & hopefully the door jams & trunk area.




Last Thursday, I also started on the steering column,,, more on that to come,, soon.
 

Till then,,







No comments:

Post a Comment